My journey into the art world


Art is such a personal topic, but somehow it takes us long to realise that. I always felt I didn't have an eye to appreciate it, to identify great art. And it took me many years to figure out that there is no absolute thing as good or bad art. Good art is just what in your own view appeals to you. For me, that is what speaks to me, what I connect with. Something that makes me stop and turn back for a few moments, to admire it. It doesn't matter whether it is 'considered' to be good art in the world or not. If it works for me, it is. For me. Of course there is a correlation between the two. Often enough, what is considered good art in the world will appeal to you. But not always, and it doesn't matter. You don't need to be constrained by what the world thinks.

And this knowledge gave me freedom. To appreciate. To like or dislike art. As I felt it. Once armed with this realisation, I started forming my own opinions. And stopped being bothered with whether I was wrong or not. It made me free, and allowed me to explore this whole art world. As I liked it.

And so I am writing about some of the paintings that made me stop, and artists that made me want to know more about them. Whether they were famous or not. This will be a living article, with me adding and sharing whatever I know, or feel about art. My journey...

Types of paintings

What I get drawn towards are generally bright and happy paintings, with a lot of colour and light. Most of them turn out to be of flowers or landscapes and cityscapes of old cities (like the Venice of old) or sometimes even scenes with a few people in it. There needs to be some life in it, something positive, and something bright.

On the other hand, the paintings I don't take to as well are mostly portraits, especially of famous people which feel lacking any creativity, as well as gory and dark paintings. They just push me away. I also don't get drawn to still life generally and a lot of the religious themed paintings where the theme becomes more important than the people. For me, the people need to feel human to like them, and so portraits showing grandeur don't work as they take away the humanness from most of them.

In terms of medium, oil is supposed to be the medium of masters. And they are supposed to be the greatest paintings of all. And I love those paintings for sure. But somehow, the medium which speaks to me more is water colour. The lightness and simplicity that comes from it is unparalleled. Something I value the most in life too. Each stroke has to be thought through, planned and perfectly executed. Water paintings don't give you a second chance, you cant make mistakes. You live with what you do. Just like in life...

And so water paintings always draw me much more than oil. Their simplicity and lightness. And that is the reason why I have always painted in water, even though it may be tougher than usual, just like in life...

Museums

I have visited many art museums over the years. Walking with the brochure to the paintings which were considered great. But not agreeing with it. And in time, I stopped going to museums. Still, there are some memories which remain. I will mention the ones I recall, and will add onto these as I continue my own journey back to this world.

National Museum (London): This might be one of the first international museums I visited. And I saw and read about most of the paintings in there. But the one which has stuck with me since the first visit in 2004 is the painting of a horse, standing with its two feet raised. It felt so real like, I have never forgotten it. Though now, I need to revisit the museum and re-discover what I really like. Hopefully sometime soon

Louvre Museum (Paris): I visited the Louvre in 2006 and spent a whole day inside. I loved a lot of pieces which I don't remember now. I didn't love the Mona Lisa as much though, and am not shy of saying that now 😊. Though I would say, its worth going to the Louvre again and figuring out what I would appreciate now

National Museum of Anthropology (Mexico City): I visited this museum in 2014, after many years. And I must say, I was blown away. The art from the South American civilisations was way ahead of its times, and I enjoyed my time there. For anyone interested in culture or history, this museum is a must visit

Van Gogh Museum (Amsterdam): I visited the museum first in 2013 and then again in 2016. . And I think I slowly grew to like the art. More so once I read about his story. Again a must visit, but be ready to not like it

Prado Museum (Madrid): I was quite sceptical of visiting another museum, but I did go to the Prado museum in 2016, and I must say I was blown away. With the paintings there, but more so bcause that was when I had the realisation, that I can like whichever paintings I like. And I started to find my own likings and dislikings in art. And artists I was affected by who's names I hadn't heard yet. Who were not as famous as some others. This museum is definitely worth a visit whenever you are in Madrid

Berlin Wall (Berlin): The Berlin wall has been turned into a graffiti wall and its impressive. You can walk for kilometers of art, representing the burning topics of the day. Again worth a look. (2018)

Some of my favourite artworks
Some of my favourite artists


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review : 3 Idiots

Some of my favourite artists

Delhi Daredevils are back!