Some of my favourite artworks


Here are a few art pieces over the years, which have stayed with me. Along with the story linked to it. I am also including some sculptures and handicraft pieces which I really liked.

This is of course a small subsection of art I have liked over the years, depending on whether I remembered and/or was allowed to take a photo of them. Going forward I plan to be more diligent in capturing such art which draws me, and posting them here...

Whistlejacket
Whistlejacket by George Stubbs, or just 'the horse', National Museum, London (UK), 2004

This painting of a horse is a huge one and sits amid many paintings of the Renaissance era, with very different subjects. Somehow, it had made a very strong impact on me, the first time I saw it in 2004. And its maybe the first painting I really liked and remembered. When I was exploring possibly my first non-Indian museum ever. The painting wasn't by any of the masters like Da Vinci and Reubens and so on. But it still stuck with me for a long time. It is so real and life-like, its difficult to not be taken by the stare of the horse, ready to jump...



The girl
The girl, Bombay (India), 2008

I ran into this painting at an exhibition in Kala Ghoda in Bombay, while waiting for a friend. And I took a photo of it from my phone when cameras used to be quite awful. Maybe it was from a blackberrry.

Again, this painting has stayed with me for years. I don't know who the artist is, but I love the emotions of this painting, of this girl, sitting next to a river with a bridge, comtemplating on life...


Wood sculptures, Bali, 2010

Bali has a tradition of each village having its own skill, with everyone in the village learning and excelling in that art form. We visited one which did batik painting, one did silversmithy and one focused on carvings in wood. The showroom in the village had such exquisitely and delicately carved wood sculptures, you could easily get lost exploring all the pieces. What I loved in them was the sense of beauty and simplicity in all them, just like on the island, and its people...

There was one carving of Ram and Sita which I loved the most. I missed buying this specific piece, and kept looking for a similar one for some time. And finally, I bought a version of this from the airport before leaving the country.



Ramayan
Ramayan paintings in Bangkok (Thailand), 2012

Glimpses of Ramayan seem to be everywhere in South-East Asia. During my visit to a few temples in Bangkok, I came across vast scenes from the Ramayan. And each of them was painted delicately. Here is one such painting from a temple, which attracted me towards it, with its peace and tranquility.


Church in Ghent 
Sculptures and glass paintings in church in Ghent (Belgium), 2013

I love churches, and make it a point to visit any and every church that I can. Whether its in Mexico, London or Allahabad. And by default, all churches are tastefully decorated on the inside, with paintings, sculptures, chandeliers and so on. Of the 100s of churches I have visited, there is one in Ghent which somehow felt grander than the others. It had many sculptures in marble, all of which felt so real and life-like. Here are a few of the many pics I took there.













Mayan art
Handicrafts and paintings, Mexico City and Merida (Mexico), 2013

The art and handicraft I observed in the museum of anthropology in Mexico City, and the streets of Merida are beyond compare. The colours and the artistry was something I have not seen in Europe. It felt it was from a different continent, from a different world. Here is a picture of a manuscript in the museum, and some beautiful embroidery pieces. The colours in the embroidery were so inviting and uplifting. Till today I wish I had bought this colourful bedspread. I have not seen such work ever again after that.

Mexican embroidery
A beautiful Mexican bedspread











Bags in the wind
Handmade bags in Maputo (Mozambique), 2016

While wandering in the local market in Maputo, I came across this local market which was selling hand made bags made of straw. I was struck by the image. The sun was out, the bags were hung by the trees, and the bright colours and handwork of the bags made the whole scene look like from a Bollywood movie 😁. This view of the colourful bags swaying in the wind has stayed with me forever.


Eyes of Van Gogh
Painting replica in Van Gogh museum, Amsterdam (Netherlands), 2017

After wandering around the museum getting a personal tour of the paintings, we came across this huge huge print of Van Gogh's self painting displayed on the ground floor of the museum. With its reflection falling on the glass wall opposite. Given its size and the bright colours, this image came out to be much more powerful than a lot of the smaller paintings. And created an image which reminds me so much of Van Gogh, of his mysterious craziness.


Purple flowers, Pennines (UK), 2017
While visiting the Pennines national park in the UK, we were walking around in a church in the village of Alston Moor and I came across some water paintings on display and sale. And I feel in loved with these water paintings of flowers. Especially the purple ones 😝. I loved them and they would have looked good in my living room. But I did not buy them as I wasn't sure if they were good art! Now I know better,and would have.


Hotel art at Ritz, Bangalore (India), 2017

I was staying at the Ritz hotel in Bangalore and came across multiple large abstract paintings in the main reception, in the office floor, the dining room and other common areas. I generally don't like abstract art, but these drew me towards them, the colours and the emotions that were emanating through these. My friend, who is an artist also loved it. And that convinced me my liking wasn't wrong 😝. And so I took a few photos of some of those pieces. Here is a collage of a few of these decorating the different part of the hotel.


Stained glass in the Duomo
Paintings and stained glass in Milan (Italy), 2019

The large stained glass windows in the Duomo in Milan are grand, and they will draw you towards them. They all have detailed scenes depicted on them, and I found these somehow grander than a lot of other stained glass paintings I have seen before. Here is one photo of it, though I don't think any of these photos can do them justice.




Market ceiling
And right next to the Duomo is the Vittorio Emmanuel open air market which has some great art on the ceiling. Its well lighted and had a grand golden architecture. Also all four corners on top are decoated with paintings. And even though they are so far away, they attract the eye. And I felt drawn to them both the times that I have been here. Even though they are normal paintings, put up on the ceiling of an open market...


My journey into the art world
Some of my favourite artists


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review : 3 Idiots

Some of my favourite artists

Delhi Daredevils are back!