Movie Review: Sultan


A Salman movie on Eid, what can you expect:). 100 crores? 200 crores? The sky is definitely the limit here!

After watching (and actually enjoying), most of Salman's movies in theatres, this time I was planning to give Sultan a miss. But rave reviews by friends on facebook tempted me and I finally went and saw it. My honest review - it was a very average movie. There have been tons of movies made like this and forgotten. But given the general level of Salman movies, this was very very good by his standards. One of those rare movies of his where you dont go 'Come on, really??!!' every 5 mins! And that is really an achievement.

About the movie, it had a story line which was great. Acting was bearable except Salman's. But a star like him doesn't need to act anyways, correct? Or dance for that matter. Anushka was good, star cast good, music enjoyable. All in all, definitely a watchable movie.

But my issue with not watching it was beyond that. Salman is a pampered child of the film industry. General tantrums is fine. But murder and getting away with it is not. And he does, because of his stardom. Maybe late but its hitting me now, watching his movies, I am encouraging and supporting his stardom and his tantrums and infallibility (Yes, yes I know I cannot pronounce him guilty but that is a liberty am taking here).

And his statement of how he felt after his shoots hurts. All women (and men) should have boycotted his movies. But of course, we (including me) did not! Given how stupid reasons we are given to boycott movies - politicial leanings, affecting religious sentiments and so on, was being disrespectful to women not reason enough? Clearly it wasn't, and me also included.

His movies' successes are the reason he has not apologised yet (or ever will). And why he will not be convicted. The rich are powerful in our country. And all of us are equally resposible for making them so powerful.

Anyways back to the movie, I dont think it is a 3 star or 4 star as rated by everyone. Would it have got the same ratings, if say Randeep Hooda was the main lead? The high rating is for the star, not the movie. At best, it is a 2.5 star for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review : 3 Idiots

Some of my favourite artists

Delhi Daredevils are back!