Movie Reviews: Kai Po Che

I recently saw Kai Po Che, and after watching the movie, I have been confused on what I felt about it. There was such a mixture of emotions, thoughts and feelings going through my head, it took a long time to put it to paper.

One, I realised that Chetan Bhagat does write serious books with some depth which was a revelation. Second, the movie was different from the other three-men-friendship movies - Dil Chahta Hai, Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara etc. - this one was about non-rich average middle class men with real life problems. It was just so real and different from the other such movies we have seen recently, it almost felt unreal(!).  The scene when the three are drinking and talking in a car felt just like the other movies and then you see that it is not their car. Scenes like this get you back to Kai Po Che; this is not a DCH or ZNMD. These guys are friends without swanky cars and they also have friendship issues, just different than whether they are ready to commit or not.

Third, I loved the acting, the setting and the basis of the movie. It was linked to real life events which gave a perspective to how such events would be affecting lives of real people. Their problems were so basic and real, it gave the movie a different flavour. Plus the portrayal of Gujarat was beautiful, in its glory and gore. Four, it got me to question some of my own views. I have always looked at Modi's economic performance, but Kai Po Che's made me realise that some of his other actions cannot be so easily forgotten or ignored either.

And lastly, I just loved the characterisations of each of the characters. They all look for different things in life: success, money and acceptance. They are all grey and they are all human; but still no one is more right or wrong than the other. This was played out so brilliantly by the characters, the movie leaves you shaken and thinking for long.

I don't think I have been able to uncover all the messages and thoughts from the movie, but I have liked that it made me think. Would go for 3.5 stars on this one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review : 3 Idiots

Some of my favourite artists

Delhi Daredevils are back!